Do you use Microsoft Office at work or home and want to learn more? Do you want to know what the fuss is about social media in the enterprise? And how about those Microsoft â€œto the cloudâ€ commercials, what does that mean?
Hereâ€™s your chance to find out. On April 2nd, 2011, Santa Monica College will host the SharePoint Saturday Los Angeles conference. Itâ€™s the only chance most people will have to talk directly to some of the brightest experts in the business productivity and collaboration space. And its only one day.
Hereâ€™s my top 7 reasons why you should attend:
1. Get expert training for free: Sure, you can find certified instructors just about anywhere, so what makes this event so special? First of all, it is absolutely free â€“ no gimmicks. Second, where else could you possibly find a group of trainers which includes Microsoft employees, Microsoft partner employees, MVPâ€™s, and trainers who are not only certified but are in the field actually doing this stuff? For a list of speakers, visit: http://sharepointsaturday.org/la/Pages/speakers.aspx
2. Get quality training: Training from experts is great, but what if you have questions? Smaller classrooms undoubtedly allow students to receive more attention and better quality training. On average, each session may have 10-20 people, a perfect environment to get your specific questions answered and interact with speakers one on one. For a list of sessions, visit: http://sharepointsaturday.org/la/Pages/meetings.aspx
3. Get connected: Many people certainly attend not only for the training but to network. With extended breaks, a long lunch, and post-conference events, its easy to meet like-minded individuals. Get business cards from speakers, sponsors and other attendees. Unwind after a full day of training at SharePint â€“ an informal, relaxed, gathering at the local bar hosted by Rackspace. SharePint will be held at â€œThe Daily Pintâ€ at 2130 Pico Boulevard, Santa Monica.
4. Open your mind with partners: Partners are a huge part of the Microsoft eco-system. Before attending a SharePoint conference, I had no idea what was really out there to help me do my job or to make things easier for users. Several software companies, consulting companies and service providers will be on-hand to answer questions. For a partial list, see: http://sharepointsaturday.org/la/Pages/sponsors.aspx
5. Have a lunch on us: The event will certainly satisfy your hunger for knowledge as you soak up expert advice, tips, and best practices. Take a break to soak up the Santa Monica sun and have a lunch on us. Free lunch, beverages, and snacks will be provided to everyone attending.
6. Win great prizes: Throughout the day, youâ€™ll have chances to win some excellent prizes. Many speakers will have free giveaways at their sessions. Weâ€™ll also have things like books, posters, and computer peripherals (like the new Microsoft Arc mouse or a Kodak scanner) that you could win. Fill out evaluation forms to win even cooler prizes like a Toshiba Netbook.
7. Get involved: We all win when we support each other. Find out how to participate in other local events and user groups in the area. Southern California has an active community of user groups like the SFVSPUG, LASPUG, LADOTNET and many many more.
So take the first step and register: http://spsla.eventbrite.com