This is theÂ 4th and finalÂ article of the Free SharePoint Backups series. If you haven’t already, check out:
- Article 1: Back up Site Collections automatically.
- Article 2:Perform a Farm-level backup automatically.
- Article 3:Back up other SharePoint componenets.
So, in the last article of the series we’ll look at some of those 3rd party products. I have to first say that I am not employed or paid by any companies mentioned here. Also, I have not tested every product in detail, these are just some that I have used or seen demos on. You can bing (or google) SharePoint Backup Products and get many many more.
Product: Symantec BackupExec with SharePoint Plugin (link)
- Supports both Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007, Microsoft SharePoint Portal Server 2003 as well as Windows SharePoint Services 2.0/3.0.
- Using a 32-bit or 64-bit Backup Exec 11d media server, this agent can protect 32-bit or 64-bit MOSS-2007 servers and can protect Single-Server or Multi-Server Farms.
- This Agent also comes bundled with the innovative Granular Recovery Technology (GRT) that helps IT Administrators save time and money by giving them the ability to restore individual documents from a single-pass database backup.
Comments: I think this is one of the less expensive options. BackupExec is good software and you can use it to backup file shares, Exchange and other products.
Product: Idera SharePoint Backup (link)
Comments: I really like the fact that users can recover their own items. This product looks promising. There are whitepapers and datasheets on the vendors website.
Product:Â AvePoint DocAve Backup & RestoreÂ (link)
- Intelligent, Business-Aware Protection
- True Enterprise-level SharePoint Backup
- Restore With Minimal Business Interruption and Data Loss
- Satisfy Stringent RTOâ€™s and RPOâ€™s Within Your SLAs
- Reduce Human Errors by Simplifying Full System Backup
- Deployment and Management
- Compliance with Government Regulations
Comment: AvePoint’s product is just one you have to see to realize its power. The site is great and has tons of information including a free download of a backup product. Additionally, AvePoint offers several other SharePoint products for IT Administrators. If you have NetApp hardware, check out SMMOSS.
Product:Â metalogix ArchiveÂ Manager for SharePointÂ (link)
Comments: I’m not sure if I could consider this a full backup product in terms of disaster recovery. Nonetheless, it seems like a great tool to manage SharePoint.
Product:Â Mimosa Systems NearPointÂ for SharePointÂ (link)
Comments: This product seems close to Idera’s product. I haven’t really tested it.
For more detailed reviews of backup and other products, check out SharePointReviews.com. This is a great site, it is packed with user reviews of many 3rd party products with ratings and all.
And that’s a wrap!